Sunday, June 3, 2007

Moab?

So what am I doing in Moab? No trains here, at least as far as I know. This is not exclusively at train riding trip, there are plenty of other things to see and a friend recommended Arches National Park so here I am. Tomorrow I go into the Fiery Furnace.

This will be my last stop in Utah. There are many kinds of deserts and I've seen a lot of them on this trip, in Arizona, Nevada and Utah. Each has it's own appeal and many people are very attracted to them. But I like trees ... and there aren't many trees in any kind of desert. Wednesday I head for Colorado and trees, trees, trees. Hooray! When I first started planning this trip, it was going to be confined to Colorado and the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad in northern New Mexico. But then I thought about going to SLC to do a little genealogy research and why not stop along the way to see whatever there was to see railroad wise. Anyway, it sort of grew. I'm glad I went to all those places, there are some very nice excursion railroads out there and chasing down some of these park railroads sent me places I never would have seen otherwise. But I now know a bunch of places I don't need to go back to and maybe one or two that might be worthwhile to see again, if I'm in the neighborhood.

2 comments:

neil haverlah said...

Hi Bill, Neil here.

Site amde me repost the comments...
Looks like you are having a ggod time.
To make me really jealous, when you get to Colorado and TREES, please show some of the senery in the background of your train pics.
Great blog...
See ya.

Neil haverlah

Private Sibyl said...

In 1994 my sis and mom also did Moab. We went on the river with a group, too. At Arches, my sister (fits your description of age, etc) and I hiked up to THE arch. Now I wish I'd gone into the Fiery Furnace, too.