Thursday, May 3, 2007

The best laid plans ...

Well my trip didn't get off to a very auspicious start. Tuesday night, just as it got dark, the 12 volt system on my RV dropped off line. The 12 volt system runs pretty much everything important on an RV so I hurriedly moved stuff out of the refrigerator/freezer and Wednesday morning, when I'm suppose to be on my way to Fort Stockton I called the RV factory and started debugging stuff over the phone. Turned out that after 5 years of working fine, the ground strap connection to the trailer frame had lost contact. 8 hours to find, 10 minutes to fix. But now, without even getting started, I'm a day behind. Wednesday night, after studying the alternatives, I decided to make it all up in one day. It is possible to drive all the way to El Paso in one day (11 hours) with a 14,000 lb. trailer in tow so here I am in El Paso. Tomorrow I go on to Tucson and ride my first rails.

No comments: