Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Denver Light Rail


The Denver Light Rail system proclaims itself as the number one in North America. I don't know who decides such things but I don't think they would lie about it. It is a very smooth operating system. They say there are five lines but four of them share substantial amounts of track. There is only one line, the D line northeast of town that doesn't share it's track with any other line and that's only a small portion of the whole D line. I believe I rode all the track they have although I didn't ride the full length of the F line route. The G line is the most unusual route, running from Nine Mile station in the far south east to Lincoln station in the farther southeast and coming nowhere near downtown. I wonder what the demographics are that makes that line useful. I noticed they only used one car on those trains. I paid ten dollars for a regular service day pass. That allowed me to ride any train or bus in any zone all day long. No one ever asked to see my ticket. I think it's interesting that they can have a system that operates well in downtown traffic, stopping every few blocks and can then hit speeds up to 60 mph between stations that are miles apart. The web site indicates plans for a major expansion in the future adding 70 or more miles to their system.

P.S. I know this is a terrible picture but I wanted to get Union Station in the background.

1 comment:

Private Sibyl said...

I kind of liked your photo--sort of 'arty'