Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Manitou & Pike's Peak Cog Railway


Or just the Pikes Peak Cog Railway, this train has all sorts of claim to fame. It is the highest cog railway in the world and the highest railway in the United States. I was quite lucky, arriving just before train time, wasting time looking for a parking place, walking up to the ticket window and buying almost the last ticket available, sitting down in a forward facing window seat and leaving. I don't recommend that as a plan but it worked out this time. The ride is all they promised, up a narrow canyon with house sized boulders, out onto a mountain side with views all the way to New Mexico and finally above the tree line with curious marmots to entertain. I thought it odd that with only about 40 minutes available at the top, people would go inside and order food but maybe high altitudes really affects some peoples appetite. I wandered around trying to figure out where the highest point was. Everywhere I went, it looked like somewhere else was higher and the floor of the large observation platform looked like it was at a crazy angle. Didn't feel like it when I walked on it though so I expect it was level as they could make it. According to their web site, they spend many hours clearing snow from the tracks in the winter and the train is open through December. A trip to a snow covered mountain might be a lot of fun.

1 comment:

Private Sibyl said...

hmmmm...I'm not feeling quite so remiss at taking this train when visiting my sister in the springs. I do think you really were lucky. Glad you enjoyed it.

Kathie