Sunday, July 15, 2007

Fort Collins Municipal Railroad


The Fort Collins Municipal Railroad is actually the revived Fort Collins trolley system and a project of the Fort Collins Municipal Railway Society. I have heard nothing but good things about this system and have been looking forward to riding it. I was not disappointed. The car they use, restored from one of four that used to operate in Fort Collins was beautiful. It has a factory new appearance. The work that required after it sat in a park for so many years must have been tremendous. The trip starts in the same park where I rode the Fort Collins park train but not nearby and I did quite a bit of driving around before I found the terminal. After a two block trip over to Mountain Avenue, the trolley follows the original tracks down the grassy median. The tracks almost disappear under the grass in some places but they had no operational problems at all. At one point, the median becomes solid concrete and there is a short siding where two trolleys could meet. The siding is not operational but they look forward to the day when they might have two trolleys and need to restore the meeting point. There were two crew members on the trolley, one to drive and one to collect fares and provide information. Both fellows were quite friendly and spotted me as a rail fan right away. If I lived in Fort Collins I would be very pleased to become active in their organization.

No comments: